My Blog List

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Centerpiece Surprise

A few months ago I received a phone call from my Aunt Margaret in Chicago. She had a marvelous idea for a New Orleans street lamp to be our wedding reception centerpieces. I was ecstatic! Especially since she said Uncle Charlie [a props master at Steppenwolf Theatre in Chicago] could make them!!
I was telling everyone that my awesome uncle was making my centerpieces from scratch and how excited I was... Yesterday evening Aunt Margaret called with some bad news: "Uncle Charlie did a mock one and it looks like a 3-foot tall phallus." Good news: "I will do whatever it takes to make what you want your centerpieces to be."
I am proud to say that I did not freak out. I love Aunt Mar to death and could never get upset with her for anything. And some things are just out of people's control.
So we were brainstorming last night and the first idea that came to my head was a hurricane-style vase with artificial magnolia blossoms submerged in water with a copper, deep green or deep purple ribbon around the base with a peacock feather stuck in the middle.
I called around and the only local craft store that has artificial magnolias is Hobby Lobby so I am going by there this evening to get one and do a 'does-it-look-okay-submereged-in-water' test.
Wish me luck!
Below are a couple of images that sort of have in mind what we are going for:

There would be magnolia blossoms in this type of vase [maybe a slightly larger circumference vase].



And this is the best picture of an artifical magnolia I could find! Beautiful! Love our state flower!



No comments:

Post a Comment